Why join or buy a gift membership? (Page last updated 20 November 2017)
As the leading interest group in the railway operation study sector the SLS offers railway enthusiasts, researchers, transport historians and model makers a complete package. We publish a regular Journal. Our area centres hold meetings from Autumn to Spring with quality speakers on a broad range of subjects. Additional one-off visits, trips and meetings are also arranged.
The library has an extensive collection of quality books, maps, timetables, magazines, manufacturer's catalogues and other railway related historical documentation covering most topics. Joining the SLS will allow you to access the library loan system. If you cannot reach the Library in person the catalogue is available on-line and a postal loan system is in place. We also have a members only web forum for exchange of information on railway related subjects.
More information about the Society
The Stephenson Locomotive Society, founded in 1909, is the premier society for the study of railways and locomotion. It has an extensive library; publishes books, the S.L.S. Journal and items from its photographic and drawings collection; organises local meetings and events has its own archive material in museums; Custodian of 1/6 scale LNWR built locomotive Orion. (More information about active involvement with Orion below)
Is SLS membership restricted to UK residents?
No, although events and meetings currently are UK based. However the Society's interests and publications do cover railways outside the UK. The Journal content includes non-UK subject material and the Library catalogue contains many items of interest to those researching non-UK topics. The section in railroads in North America, for example, is particularly comprehensive.
Our fantastic value new member savings deal applies to ALL first time members
Full year - £10.00 for full year (Normal full year £25.00) (For our current deals on Family and Junior categories see either the Application form (Traditional postal option) or the On-line membership page
The membership commences on 1st January in each year. A standard renewal fee (Currently £25.00) is then due in the January following. This offer provides 6 Journals through the year and a new recruit will receive any back number Journals.
Buying a Gift Membership as a present makes their day last a year and is tremendous value - whether for Christmas, birthdays, anniversaries, retirement - make their day last a year with a gift that keeps on giving! , We have seven different images available for your selection of Gift membership cards as below. (The thumbnails open a larger version of the image)
Although the reduced fee aspect of the gift membership scheme outlined below is solely for completely new members if you wish to give a subscription renewal for an existing member as a gift the card element of the scheme is, of course, still applicable. In this instance email the Promotions Officer at email@example.com for further details. Link to details about actively supporting Orion
(Note - The Gift cards shown are the 2012 versions - new issues will of course be endorsed for the appropriate year when ordered)
|Image 2 (Class 24)|
|Image 3 (Bittern)||Image 4 (Sir Lamiel)|
|Image 5 (Tornado)||Image 6 (1501)|
Card stock details
Finished cards are folded to A5 size.
Card 1 will be printed on heavy weight art card, cards 2 through 7 will be printed on 240gsm glossy photo' paper.
To order the following process applies:-
- Email the Promotions Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org stating (1) the number you wish to buy (2) your card choices(s) and (3) your return address.
- We introduced an interim option during 2017 to pay by electronic transfer, if this would suit you in preference to the traditional cheque method please add this note to the cards request.
- You will then be sent the gift card pack (Card, envelope and brochure endorsed "Welcome to the SLS - A gift membership has been purchased on your behalf) plus an extra blank membership brochure(s) coded – Gift for date ……………… . NB Existing SLS members please also add your membership number for monitoring purposes.
- The gift pack is for you to give to the recipient,
- You send the completed new member form(s) with the new members address on it plus the cheque to the Society Membership Secretary at the address on the form.
- Please indicate any "do not send before date" if the gift is date specific so that you can give the Gift membership card before the first SLS mailing is sent to the new member.