Solved WWW No. 195 Negative Number 26837
Links - Back to latest What where when? page | Index of previously resolved What where when? queries.
This photograph by W. A. Camwell is of Fairburn 2-6-4T 42122 (not 41222 as stated at page 120) arriving at Glengarnock station on a passenger train from Glasgow St. Enoch bound for either Ayr or Girvan or Largs/Ardrossan.
The station was opened on 21 July 1840 by the Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway (later part of the Glasgow and South Western Railway) and was named Glengarnock and Kilbirnie. The station was renamed Glengarnock on 1 June 1905 to coincide with the opening of the dedicated Kilbirnie railway station on the Dalry and North Johnstone Line. Although this Kilbirnie station closed in 1966, the original station has continued to use only Glengarnock as its name.
The locomotive was built in September 1949 one of a class of 277 locomotives. A shed plate, 67A, Glasgow Corkerhill is visible, the locomotive was allocated there until November 1959 when it was transferred to 67C Ayr. Later withdrawn at the end of 1962.
Totems were noted at this station in July 1959 but none are seen in this photo. It is sunny and foliage can be noted behind the smaller station building which could suggest summer. Given the length of the train it is likely to be a main line turn so the photo may be from the summer of 1958.
Information received from Brian Lewis, J.L. Stevenson, Dr. Gavin Struthers and R. Wood is acknowledged with thanks.
Readers who can provide further details about this picture should write to K. Greenwood, Bradstones, Charlton Road, Holcombe, Bath, Somerset, BA3 5ER or email The Photograph Collection Custodian
How to join
Apply by on-line form
Application form (Traditional postal submission)
SLS Library (Membership service)
SLS Resources (Free service)
The picture gallery (Opens new window/tab)
About us / Contacts
Links to other sites
Links to other railway sites (Off-site link)