Solved W W W No.175 (Updated with addenda Aug 2015)
Links - Back to latest What where when? page | Index of previously resolved What where when? queries.
Negative Number 27069 (Updated 30th May 2015)
Originally posted online and on page 304, November/December 2014 Journal, Negative No. 27069.
The train appears to be a freight hauled by British Railways Standard Class 9F 2-10-0 passing a lattice signal post at the former Great Northern Railway Crow Park for Sutton on trent station, Nottinghamshire. The station was opened in 1850 on the Peterborough to Doncaster line between Newark and Tuxford. The coping stones on right hand platform have been removed; some are stacked on the platform. Passenger services ceased on 6 October 1958 and goods finished with closure - 4 May 1964. The ‘Nags Head’ public house situated on the Old Great North Road is seen on the right hand side.
The view is looking north towards Tuxford. In the upper left corner of the photograph, when viewed under a magnifying glass, large lettering on a roof of a building spelling W---ONS can be seen. Additional research identifies this to be E.C. Walton & Co, Muskham Works, Sutton-on-trent. Several aerial photos of the site are included on the Britain from Above website, from a sequence flown by Aerofilms in 1933. This link takes you to the set - http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/epw041562 .
This picture is the next photograph by W.A. Camwell, see WWW No. 173 and 174 so perhaps he was visiting Lincolnshire stations. The B1 class locomotive seen in WWW 174 was scrapped in January 1963 thus the date of this photograph is likely to be c1958 – 1962.
Thanks to John New, Vic Smith and R. Wood for information supplied.
Addenda to Answer to WWW 175 (Added 10 August 2015)
The answer published at page 136, May/June 2015 Journal sought advice in respect of the large lettering seen on the roof of a building in the upper left corner of the photograph. It has now been established that this is E.C. Walton & Co, Muskham Works, Sutton-on-trent, Nottinghamshire.
The company was founded in North Muskham near Newark, and subsequently relocated to Sutton-on-trent in the 1920s. Walton’s had been established in 1878 originally for the production of wooden hen-houses and other small out-buildings of interest to farmers and small-holders. They expanded into the construction of complete wooden-framed houses, and by the mid-1920s they were offering self-build sectional timber garages. The company continues to manufacture a range of quality garden buildings.
Thanks to John New and R. Wood for information supplied.
To contact the Society
This site uses a Java based email generator to reduce spam. If you are seeing this message either enable Java on your PC or make the obvious changes to the following email address = stephenson_at_stephensonloco_dot_org_dot_uk';
Back to page top
How to join
SLS Library (Membership service)
SLS Resources (Free service)
The picture gallery (Opens new window/tab)
About us / Contacts
Links to other sites
Links to other railway sites (Off-site link)